workshops : performances : creations : art & theater : workshops : performances : creations

Friday, March 26, 2010

Roots

Everyone who knows me, knows I wear many hats...literally and metaphorically. It has happened before that I have arrived at a venue wearing the wrong "hat" so to speak. Rest assured though that I have never shown up while a woman was in labor thinking that I was there to do anything that didn't have to do with the birth of her child into the family.

It's mostly usually a retail faux pax. Having set up a display of childrens' books and crafts to find the organizers were thinking I was bringing my natural products. Or having brought handcrafts to places that were expecting music cds and instruments.

For a while I tried to separate everything, and regularly carried at least three different business cards with me, more often four. Then I realized that no matter how many hats I had, I really was indeed just one person, so I had business cards made up that pretty much listed what I offered professionally/retail-wise... more than twenty headings.

So it was just recently, that I was set up behind a display of books, and costume props, small toys, and a stack of cards advertising storytelling workshops that I give, when out of a hundred or more passers-by, two people struck a chord in me...looking for me to be wearing a different hat.

One was looking for those natural handmade products of mine...from my garden grown herbs, and local wool. The other had this magnificently brilliant idea about a children's circus...that reminded me the kinds of things I used to do in my "traveling" days before I became a *professional* storyteller. Both of these people made me wonder what I was doing sitting inside on a beautiful Spring day. I felt encouraged, understood, revitalized. I am hoping to keep that feeling going.

It reminded me of a project I began a few years ago, from a dream I first had a few decades ago.. that I seemingly abandoned. Maybe it's time to give it another look. I haven't updated the web-site in a couple of years, but you are welcome to please visit Mother Moon Music

I've also been one to talk at length upon the adage of there being a differenace between making a life and making a living...maybe I need to listen to myself a little more.

No comments: